Lab Director: Dr. Alexander Ferworn Dr. Ferworn coordinates the efforts of several faculty members and provide direction to a mixed team of a dozen doctoral and masters students and several post docs who perform applied research in the area of computational public safety—mostly related to USAR and the structural collapse of occupied buildings. See Dr. Alexander Ferworn’s curriculum vitae for more information
Rodney Yip, Strategic Advisor Rodney has over 30 years of business continuity, disaster recovery and emergency management experience. Recently retired from IBM Canada, Rodney lends his skills to projects such as IMPACT 2030 which supports the United Nations Sustainable Development project and the Private Sector Partnership Working Group for United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction. Locally, Rodney is on the Advisory Committee of Canada’s Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (working under the auspices of Public Safety Canada) and also co-chairs the Private Sector Partnership Working Group therein. As an artificer, Rodney has prototyped devices for emergency management and disability management.
Alfred Lai M.Sc. Senior Research Associate–Cybersecurity Alfred is an alumnus of Ryerson University and a practitioner of Cyber Security and Information Assurance for over seventeen years. He has a background in Civil Engineering, Computer Networking, Telecommunications and Cyber Security. He holds a Certificate in Telecommunications from Ryerson University, a B.Sc. degree in Computer Science from York University, Toronto and M.Sc. degrees in Information Systems Security from Royal Holloway College, University of London, U.K. specializing in Cryptography. He is also a graduate of Canadian Army Staff College and Canadian Forces College. He obtained his designation of Certified Information System Security Professional (CISSP) in 2008.Alfred worked for a federal Crown Corporation, consulted to various ministries and provincial Crown Corporations of the Government of Ontario, major corporations and telecommunications providers in the private sector. He is a senior signals officer in the Canadian Army Reserve.
Fatima Hussain, Adjunct Professor received her PhD and MASc degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Ryerson University where she was affiliated with the WINCORE lab. Upon graduation she joined the Network-Centric Applied Research Team (N-CART) as a post doctoral fellow where she continues to work on various NSERC-funded projects in the realm of the Internet of Things (IoT) and network security. Fatima has worked as a limited term assistant professor in the School of Computer Science at the University of Guelph. She is also an adjunct professor in the Department of Computer Science at Ryerson University where her role includes the supervision of several graduate projects. Fatima is also a full member of the Yeates School of Graduate Studies where she supervises graduate students in the Master of Digital Media (MDM) program. Fatima is also a technical advisor for the Toronto-based firm “Locate Motion”. In addition, she has worked as an international faculty member in several universities in Pakistan. She has more than 8 years of teaching and research experience in Toronto and overseas. Her research interests include machine-to-machine communication, IoT, machine learning, smart transportation, energy harvesting and similar fields. She is a prolific author with various conference and journal publications to her credit. Her recent venture is an introductory text on the Internet of Things technology published by Springer which covers the introduction to the entire IoT domain. She is an editor for the IEEE newsletter in Future Directions and IEEE newsletter in Technology Policy & Ethics and for the International Journal of Research Innovations in Computer Networks (IJRICN). She has extensive experience in conducting high-quality seminars and arranging workshops, like IEEE VTC (2017), IEEE CAMAD (2016), IEEE Seminars Toronto section etc.
Prithu Prakash, Cyber Security and Forensics Advisor
Seasoned thought leader with a track record that sets the vision, creates the culture and follows through with strategies designed to define tactics and set the tempo for execution to ‘get it done’. Prithu has defined and differentiated markets around the world for accelerated ROI using media, whitepapers, campaigns, unsolicited proposals, and marketing. Evidence based, and results driven professional, Prithu offers more than twenty-five years of setting road maps and corporate direction in defence, cyber based communications, covert cellular communications and critical resilient infrastructure. A deep understanding of IoT, Cellular, and Cybersecurity for individuals and infrastructure has been gained and complimented with a strong understanding with the importance and differences in the different types of communication that can be leveraged by commercial, military, private and public communication systems for different situational environments and responses nationally and globally.
Omid Karimpour, Research Assistance, I am a Roboticist and Researcher at NCART Lab, at Ryerson university. My work is focused on Autonomous robots, Navigation, Localization, and SLAM. Born and raisein Tehran, Iran, captivated by technology development, science and power of collaboration. Moved to Toronto after B.Sc. in Electrical Engineering from Shahid Beheshti University. I worked at SDI Marketing as a Lead advisor for TMS location for 3 years. Meanwhile started my research on Smart Joint Methods at McMaster University. Thereafter, I joined Network-Centric Applied Research Team (NCART) as an research assistant under supervision of Prof. Alex Ferworn. My research interests includes Autonomous Robot Lidar Based or fusion Navigation, Localization, SLAM, Path planning, Obstacle avoidance Machine Learning, Computer vision, and hardware design. you can find more detail on my website.
- Fatima Hussain, Adjunct Professor, Department of Computer Science, Ryerson University
Dalia Hanna, PMP, PhD Student, Department of Computer Science, Program Director, Community Services, The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education, Ryerson Univesity
- Jimmy Tran Computer Science, Ryerson University Graduated with MSc. in Computer Science, PhD. Candidate
- Alex Ufkes Computer Science, Ryerson University Graduated with MSc. in Computer Science, PhD. Candidate
- Nhan Tran Computer Science, Ryerson University Graduated with MSc. in Computer Science, PhD. Student
- Scott Herman Computer Science, Ryerson University Graduated with MSc. in Computer Science
- Christopher Kong Computer Science, Ryerson University Graduated with MSc. in Computer Science
- Christopher Chan Computer Science, Ryerson University Graduated with MSc. and PhD. in Computer Science
- Ben Waismark Computer Science, Ryerson University Graduated with MSc. in Computer Science
- Huy Pham Computing and Information Science, U of Guelph Graduated with MASc. (Ryerson E&CE), PhD. Candidate
- Andrew D’Souza Computer Science, Ryerson University Graduated with MSc. in Computer Science
- Martin Gerdzhev E&CE, Ryerson University Graduated with MASc. in E&CE
- Vijay Somers Computer Science, Ryerson University Graduated with MSc. in Computer Science
- Hossein Rahnama E&CE, Ryerson University Graduated with MASc. (Ryerson E&CE), PhD
- Elliott Coleshill Computing and Information Science, U of Guelph Graduated with Master of Science Degree, PhD
- Cristina Ribeiro Computing and Information Science, U of Guelph Graduated with Master of Science Degree
- Salah Sharieh Computer Science, McMaster Graduated with MSC in Computer Science, Doctoral Candidate
- Wei Lu Computing and Information Science, U of Guelph Graduated with MASc. (Ryerson E&CE)
- Le Nguyen Computing and Information Science, U of Guelph Masters Candidate
- Hao Lac Computing and Information Science, U of Guelph Graduated with Master of Science Degree
- Greg Klotz Computing and Information Science, U of Guelph Graduated with Master of Science Degree
- Justin Pham Computing and Information Science, U of Guelph Graduated with Master of Science Degree
- Ankit Arora E&CE, Ryerson University Graduated with MASc
- Wing Shiu Computing and Information Science, U of Guelph Graduated with Master of Science Degree